Shared Hosting Services Definition
A shared hosting solution involves keeping and/or sharing certain content on a server hosted by a shared hosting distributor. There are various kinds of hosting services used for different ends, so let's explore them. Doing so, you can conclude what you want, depending on whether you'd like to build a website, mail addresses, or to share files with pals and partners.
5 websites hosted
30-Day Free Trial
Unlimited websites hosted
30-Day Free Trial
- File hosting: a solution made available by particular providers, which enables you to share bulky files. These could be disk images, motion pictures, audio files, archives, etc. This service is also known as file storage, and its single objective is to share files, since it does not support web site uploading. Once the files are uploaded, you will either obtain a randomly generated download link for each of them, or you will be able to view a register of all the files in a directory, but you will not be able to load .html or .php web files in your web browser. Free-of-charge file hosting packages are frequently supported by showing advertisements beside the download links, while a timer obliges you to wait for a certain interval of time to see them. A given file can be downloaded with limited speed. If you have a paid file hosting account, there are no limits as to how many files you can upload/download right away, and also there is no limitation as far as the download speed and the file size are concerned.
Nowadays, with the assistance of the cPanel hosting vendors, "file hosting" is being renamed to the more trendy "cloud shared hosting". This is a thoroughly inaccurate explanation of the real meaning of "cloud hosting". An actual cloud shared hosting system would assign the load between individual groups of servers in a cluster, which are devoted to attending various shared hosting services (electronic mail, disk space, statistics, DNS, databases, web hosting CP, etc.) So, the file hosting solution is only a brand of a storage space hosting solution, not a cloud shared hosting one. It's not even near.
- Image hosting: similar to file hosting; given vendors offer a hosting service for pictures exclusively. This hosting kind is suitable if you desire to share a huge quantity of images with comrades or acquaintances since the solution is usually free of cost. You will receive a randomly generated link for every picture or album and you can then share this link. As with the file hosting service, .html and .php files are not supported, so the service cannot be used for web pages.
- Email hosting: a service committed to managing your mail aliases. Some suppliers provide shared hosting services for web pages, but do not offer an e-mail hosting solution. If you would like to open an e-mail address with your domain but do not want to own a web site, then the email shared hosting service is what you need. You can create email accounts and manage them, but there will be no hosting solution for the domain name. The e-mail hosting solution includes incoming POP/IMAP and outgoing SMTP e-mail servers.
- Video hosting: this solution permits you to upload and share video clips. You can either share a link to a specific video, or you can embed the video file in your web site that is hosted elsewhere. The benefit of using this approach instead of uploading the video in a hosting account is that the video clip brings about a particular amount of central processing unit load, so with several videos and a few hundred visitors, you may have a problem with your shared hosting quotas. Embedding the video file will enable you to administer as many video clips as you want without hassling about system supplies.
- Shared hosting: this is the service that you need if you wish to possess a website. To a certain extent, it includes all of the abovementioned hosting forms since, along with your sites, you can also host images and files, you can create databases and mail accounts, upload video files, etc. At Hostomedia you can have a peek at shared shared hosting and dedicated server accounts that allow you to get all of the aforementioned solutions in one single location. There may be limitations based on the sort of shared hosting service that you've picked - a free web hosting account, a paid shared website hosting account, a virtual private servers or a dedicated server. Based on that, your shared hosting plan may be better or worse compared to the ordinary email/file/video/image hosting plans that are made for particular content only.